Monday, May 30, 2011

Gram's Lemon Apricot Cake

This is a good old fashioned cake.  I say that because it isn't "froofy" like popular cakes - it's humble looking and tastes spectacular.  My Gram Yoder made it while visiting us when I was just a child, it made such an impression on my taste buds that I called her as an adult to request the recipe.  Boy was I surprised to find it all started with a cake mix!  As Gram would say "Awesome!"

Gram's Lemon Apricot Cake
1 lemon cake mix
4 eggs
3/4 c oil (I used part vegetable and part olive)
1/2 c apricot nectar (Kern's or Jumex, you can freeze the other half for your next cake or drink it while baking)

Frosting:
1-1/2 c powdered sugar
3 T lemon juice
lemon zest (optional)

Mix cake mix, eggs, oil and juice on low for 30 seconds.  Beat on high for 2 minutes.  Pour into greased and floured 9 x 13 pan and bake at 300F for 35-45 minutes (or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean).  While still warm, prick top of cake all over with a fork and drizzle with frosting.  Yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment