State Fair Potato Salad
"Drizzling sweet pickle juice over the warm potatoes is the secret to this delicious salad."
- 3 1/2 pounds red-skinned potatoes, washed, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1/3 cup juices from jar of sweet pickles
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 T Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 5 hard-boiled eggs, peeled, chopped
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped sweet pickles (Vlassic no sugar added baby gherkins)
Cook potatoes in large pot of boiling salted water until just tender, 10-20 minutes. Drain. Drizzle pickle juice over warm potatoes and stir (this might be my favorite part of the whole recipe). Cool to room temp. I place the pot in the sink with salted ice water to speed this process.
While the potatoes are cooking and cooling, chop the celery, hard-boiled eggs, and pickles. Put these in the large bowl you'll serve in.
In medium bowl, whisk together mayo, buttermilk, mustard, sugar and pepper. Add potatoes and sauce to chopped goodies and stir well. Chill.