Sunday, August 9, 2009

Microwave Peanut Brittle

I love this recipe! My Mom had one just like it when I was a kid (at the height of microwave cooking) and I found this one in a friend's cookbook (which I only have a photocopy of the page and am sorry to say I don't know the name of the book, but it was all about microwave cooking).

Things you'll need:
16" piece of heavy duty aluminum foil, lightly greased (or a silpat) on a cookie sheet.
Candy thermometer.
8 cup Pyrex bowl or other micro-safe bowl of equivalent size (I like having the handle and still use a potholder, both for my hand and when I set the bowl down to stir).
Wooden mixing spoon.

Ingredients:
2 c sugar
1 c light corn syrup
2 T butter, cut up a bit (use high-temp coconut oil to make this dairy free)
1/4 c water

1-1/2 c nuts - roasted, salted (I use 1/2 c each- peanuts, almonds and cashews)

1/2 t baking soda

** All microwave times are uncovered on HIGH **

Combine 1st 4 ingredients, stir to combine, microwave 5 minues. Stir to dissolve all sugar.
Microwave 6 more minutes, or until 234-240 degrees F.
Stir in nuts, microwave 7 minutes, or until 290-300 degrees F.
Add baking soda and stir just until mixture stops bubbling.
Pour onto foil and spread to about 1/4" thick with wooden spoon.

Set aside to cool, about 20 minutes. Break into chunks and serve, or store in an airtight container several weeks.

Makes about 1-3/4 pounds.

No comments:

Post a Comment